Friday, November 7, 2014

The KNIFE


THE KNIFE


1/11/14

 
http://youtu.be/rBL25PU6zbE gives a pretty good overview of the show (this video is what convinced me to go see it).

Someone I met in a hostel who is seeing The KNIFE in London next week said he read a review which suggested the show was boring. I’ve got no idea how they thought that. Unless you’ve never listened to The Knife, never been to a live show, you wouldn’t say. No one would say that. My Mom wouldn’t say it was boring, she would say it’s different or interesting. It’s not really her thing but I’m sure she could see the entertainment value in it. For it was a spectacular performance, perfectly choreographed, great costumes, and brilliant sounds – couldn’t ask for more.

Prior to seeing them I will admit I was a bit worried because their latest album is a bit different and slow and I thought they would play more of the new stuff as bands generally do. I like the new stuff, but I think at a live concert it might not go down so well.

However, the geniuses that are The  
KNIFE played all their greatest songs and mixed every song so that it was impossible not to dance.

 
As a result I danced nonstop for an hour. It was one of those rare moments when you are not thinking about what you are doing, you are uncontrollably dancing.

I could not choose whether to dance or not, even how to dance. I had no say, the music just took over and I was a puppet to its rhythmic chant. And it was amazing. Some of the most fun I’ve ever had listening to live music and dancing.

(Other dancing highlights in my life include Digitalism live, Crystal Castles live, Kitsune Club Night, that small club in Osaka, that club in East Berlin that plays only 80/90s old school hip hop).

The Swedish crowds are a bit boring. The girl standing next to me was a tad older and just stood there the entire time. The only time she moved was to put her bag on the other shoulder as I kept bumping into it. I’m not sure but I think she was sleeping standing up. Her bf was behind dancing a fair bit so I think it’s safe to say he dragged her along.

I think dancing is courageous, if no one around you dances no matter how you feel about the music most people hesitate to dance, or hesitate to fully let go and embrace the rhythm. Most people I could see in front of me were only dancing in the main songs and not going very crazy—a sad sight to see given the quality of the show. However when I looked beside me and behind most people were dancing pretty good, so, and I could be imagining this, but I would like to think my constant dancing from the start infected the people behind and gave them the energy and freedom to let go and dance as the music intended and their heart desired.

Full disclosure: I drank about two shots of gin before I entered the venue and bought one beer, safe to say in terms of alcohol I was near sober, in terms of feelings I was anything but. And I was there by myself, which wasn’t too bad, but did mean I didn’t hang around for the DJ playing some good tunes after the show.

The KNIFE – the best band I have ever seen.

No comments:

Post a Comment